Talk: DevOps For Dishwashers - Bringing grown up practices to the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things is undeniably here. In the last year we have heard tell of of security cameras, dishwashers and even ovens roaming the internet unsupervised.
As a consultant and writer specialising in the Internet of Things, I have worked to bring my experience from 20 years in manufacturing and internet security to the IoT world. This presentation will cover the tools and techniques I use to build secure, reliable and rapidly updatable IoT devices.
The techniques covered are applicable to both the simplest embedded devices with no general-purpose OS, and more powerful devices running Linux or Windows.
Part 1, architecture and coding:
* Using containers (docker) in the embedded world (and simple equivalents for less capable platforms)
* Applying Continuous Integration and automated testing to embedded devices
Part 2, deployment and maintenance:
* Using the open-source SaltStack platform to provision IoT devices. I introduce a framework (https://github.com/unixbigot/kevin) which has been developed for use in my IoT projects
* Examples of using cloud frameworks for IoT management: Amazon AWS, Resin.io, Google Android Things
Part 3, Monitoring, Command and Control:
* Tracking your device behaviour with SaltStack and Elastic Search
* Updating your devices in the field
* Tips and techniques for device longevity